Woman looking at a computer

how to make a claim

Let us help you understand the process for making a claim if you sustain an injury at work.

If you’re injured at work, you must:

  1. Notify your employer as soon as possible so the incident can be recorded in the Register of Injuries;
  2. If time off work is required, see a doctor and have the doctor complete a certificate of capacity;
  3. Sign and date the worker’s declaration on the certificate of capacity and provide the certificate of capacity to your employer or their insurer and attach any bills or receipts for treatment;
  4. Participate and cooperate with the development and implementation of an injury management plan. Your employer's insurer will be in touch to develop this plan in consultation with you;
  5. Comply with requests for information made by the insurer within seven days. Payments may be discontinued if you do not provide this information;
  6. Make all reasonable efforts to return to work as soon as possible.

If you cannot do your normal job, you should ask your doctor and employer about suitable alternative duties to assist your return to work while you recover from the effects of your injury.

  • certificate of capacity - what you should know

    The certificate of capacity is issued by your medical practitioner and used by the insurer to help understand your capacity for work and the payments you’re entitled to.

  • time limits for claiming

    You should lodge a claim immediately after an incident occurs or no later than six months from the date of injury. However, there are provisions to accommodate delays due to a reasonable cause.

  • provisional liability - helping workers first

    To help you recover and return to work faster, provisional liability allows your insurer to pay weekly benefits and medical expenses for up to 12 weeks without admitting or incurring liability.

  • uninsured employers

    If you have been injured and your employer is uninsured, a claim can still be made for workers compensation.