If you’re eligible, return to work assistance provides you with financial assistance for costs and services associated with returning to work.
Expenses payable under return to work assistance apply only to services provided and costs incurred on or after 29 April 2016.
new employment assistance
If you’re unable to return to work with your pre-injury employer, due to your injury, you may claim new employment assistance. Up to $1,000 can be claimed for expenses involved in returning to work with a new employer, including:
- transport (e.g. public transport or motor vehicle registration)
- education or training (e.g. industry licences or certificates)
- equipment (e.g. tools of trade), or
- any similar service or assistance.
To claim new employment assistance, you must contact the insurer to confirm:
- you’ve accepted a written offer of employment for a period of three months or more with a new employer
- how the item or service will assist your return to work
- the amount you are claiming, along with supporting quotes and invoices.
Once you’ve made a claim for new employment assistance, the workers compensation insurance agent must determine liability within 14 days.
education or training assistance
If you need to upgrade your skills in order to return to work, education or training assistance is designed to help improve your readiness for work with the same employer or a new employer. You may claim up to $8,000 for expenses such as:
- course fees
- other related expenses (e.g. text books, travel).
To claim education or training assistance, you must:
- have been assessed as having a permanent impairment of more than 20 per cent
- have received weekly payments of compensation (paid or payable) for 78 weeks or more
- demonstrate the education or training is consistent with your injury management plan and will assist your return to work, and
- ensure that the education or training assistance is provided by:
- a registered training organisation, or
- a registered higher education provider.
To make a claim, complete a training application form. We recommend that the person completing the application form confirms that the worker is entitled to education or training assistance.
Once you’ve made a claim for education or training assistance, the workers compensation insurance agent must determine liability within 21 days.